Friday, July 28, 2006

Painkiller

I've been waiting a long time, but I finally got my copy of "Beachbum Berry's Grog Log." I ordered it on May 28th from that mega-mega on-line bookstore. It never arrived. I canceled my order because Tiki Objects by Bosko saved the day. Bosko quickly sent out my grog log and a really nice Moai Tiki Mug. There was a slight mistake in shipping, but the good people of TikiBosko resolved the problem before I even knew there was a problem. The customer service was excellent, and the products are top-notch. I can recommend tikibosko.com wholeheartedly.

The "Grog Log" is crucial for anyone interested in Tiki Drinks. If you don't have it yet, or if you need some tiki accessories, check out TikiBosko.

Painkiller
from "Beachbum Berry's Grog Log."

4 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz. orange juice
1 oz coco lopez coconut cream
2 oz 95 proof Pusser's rum

Blend without ice and pour into a tall glass or tiki mug filled with crushed ice. Top with a shake of nutmeg and a pinch of cinnamon. Garnish with pineapple stick, orange wheel, and cinnamon stick.


This is a nice variation on the standard pina colada. It's not overly sweet, and the spice adds a nice complex aroma that really works well with the pineapple. An ice-cold Painkiller would make a perfect antidote to a heatwave. Just in case...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly approve of your photo. I simply must take a sip!

I need to get some tiki mugs...

Surprisingly, this is one I haven't made. I think I never made the leap to buy Pusser's considering it's in so few cocktails.

8:38 PM  
Blogger jimmyp said...

Thanks for the comment Rick. Your pictures put mine to shame, but I'm working on it.

I'm sure you could make a great Painkiller with some of your "house rums," a mix of Goslings and a nice light rum sounds really good. Maybe a comparison is in order...

Cheers,

jimmy

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To go with the Grog Log, you should check out The Grogalizer. Put in the things you have in your bar and it will tell you which concoctions from the Grog Log and Intoxica you can make, along with rankings and comments.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy, I just stumbled across the blog, saw the recipe and wanted to throw in my two cents. Since the original "Pusser's Pain killer" recipe is still to this day a mystery, the published version is the widely accepted reverse engineered take on one served at the Soggy Dollar Bar in Jost Van Dyke.

Having made the drink many, many times and drank them on Tortola and Jost Van Dyke I 'd like to share my recipe for what I believe is the most authentic and best tasting version of the Pain Killer.

1 oz Cream of Coconut*
2.5 oz Orange juice
2.5 oz Pusser's Rum (95 proof)**
3 oz Pineapple juice

Blend thoroughly. Serve over ice.

Garnish with nutmeg (only!).


* I suggest using a product called "coco real" it comes in a squeeze bottle. It blends uniformly and the cream doesn't solidify at chilled temperatures. The taste is exactly the same.

** If substituting use Cruzan (I actually prefer it over pusser's) and make it 3 parts instead of 2.5


Using the above recipe sweetened products are fine (actually preferred). Tropicana no pulp OJ and Dole pineapple juice work well. The published recipe is far too sweet and doesn't balance the booze (not enough). Those drinks should kick you ass when drinking them. Try it out you'll love it!

Ben

6:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So I made a painkiller today.

2 shots Pussers Rum
1 shot coco real (the squeeze bottle)
1 shot freshsqueeze OJ
2 shots pineapple juice (unsweetened)
nutmeg on top
I shook it in the cocktail shaker a bit to get it a little frothy and mix everything well.

It's yummy but still rather sweet, in my opinion. Needs *something*. Not sure what... I'll just have to do more experimenting. Oh gee darn. ;-)

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home