Saturday, April 21, 2007

French Quarter Cocktail


Recently bartenders from all over the country entered the Tales of the Cocktail competiton. The winners and their recipes are listed over at the Tales website.

Unfortunately my cocktail was not among the winning entries. Fortunately, Jeffrey Morgenthaler is recognizing the "losers" over at his fantastic website.
Jeffrey's got his creation, "Brazil '66," Sean Bigley's "Bayou Pearl," my "French Quarter," and Jamie Bordreau's "Colt's Neck Swizzle." These recipes all look good and I'm proud my drink is mentioned on the same page with those three superstars.

Here's my non-winner entry:

French Quarter
2.5 oz Moet White Star Champagne
1 oz. Plymouth Gin
2 dashes Fee’s Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters
2 dashes Simple Syrup

Shake gin, bitters and simple syrup over ice and strain into a champagne flute.
Gently stir in the Champagne and garnish with a thin layer of cassis foam.

Since Tales is taking place in New Orleans, I thought it would be appropriate to use traditional Mardi Gras colors. Two of the traditional colors are gold (power) and purple (justice). I wanted to balance the golden Champagne with the purple Cassis. A nice touch would have been a sprig of mint to bring in some green (faith).















Cassis Foam
1/8 oz. Gelatin
4-5 oz water
12 oz. Marie Brizzard Cassis de Bordeaux

bloom 1/8 oz. gelatin (about 2 sheets) in an ounce or so of cool water. Add 3 0z. warm water and whisk in 12 oz. Marie Brizzard Cassis de Bordeaux. Chill and then charge in a dessert whip dispenser. (I charge about 300mls in my 500ml ISI dispenser)

So there it is. If you try it out, let me know what you think. The foam is easy to make and the texture is really nice, so if you have a whipper, try some experiments with foam. Campari foam on a Orange Blossom anyone?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks fantastic! I had no idea the colors of the drink were so well thought-out as part of the recipe.

I've been lagging on picking up another ISI charger since someone walked off with my last one, but this sounds like just the thing to inspire me to grab another!

Thanks, Jimmy. Awesome drink, by the way.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home